<$BlogRSDURL$>
watch this space
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
 
Day 2 of the experiment - I'm a little less optimistic today and not just because I only got one comment to my inaugrual post. More on that comment in a bit. Rather, I think the Dems nationally and even the Webb campaign in Virginia are not really going to be able to afford to divert some of their momentum to Hurst. Webb had a pretty good day, because Allen kept the "macaca" story going by again sort of apologizing instead of really apologizing and because some group of vets put up an ad spotlighting Allen's vote against body armor for the troops. On the other hand, Allen's goons are trotting out some old sexist stuff Webb said long before he probably ever thought he'd be running as a Democrat in our more enlightened age. The Webb / Allen race is going to get so nasty that I don't see Allen and the Republicans folding. At least right now I'm just not going to pray for that miracle. And as I said yesterday, I'm not going to pray for the miracle that would doom Davis. Now, it's possible that Allen's taint could get on Davis, but if he's been able to escape the stench of his actual colleagues on the Hill thus far, I don't see how he can't just remain aloof from Allen's troubles. I suppose Davis could be baited into condemning Allen in some way, but I'm guessing he's too smart for that. In fact, given his relative youth, exuberance, and relative political inexperience, I can see Hurst screwing up this way before Davis. To sum up, I think it's still the case that Hurst will need serious money to buy visibility and name recognition, and I have no idea where that money could come from. On the other hand, I still believe there's time for a dump all incumbent meme to catch fire and partly burn Davis and partly suppress turnout of independents who may be otherwise inclined to go with the devil they know. It would take some sort of moral outrage, however, because in the 11th, it's not the economy stupid, the housing market is just a bit cooler than it's recent red hotness, and gas prices are coming down.

Now, on that one comment on last night's post. Please see my reply to fightthepowder in that comment thread. [update - my apologies for posting my reply three times.]

I may come back tonight, but likely I'll not post again for 24 hours, because I can't do this from work. I will check for comments tonight, and I can check for comments at work.

Thanks again for your time and attention.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

ARCHIVES
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004 / 09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006 / 10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006 / 11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006 / 01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007 / 02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007 / 03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007 / 04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007 / 05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007 /


Powered by Blogger